The following reservation limits are in place to make the use of the LMCF resources efficient and equitable for all. If you have suggestions for improvements in the booking policies or if you think somebody is cheating please let us know (you can use this form if you want to do so anonymously).
You may book up to 7 days ahead
3 hour limit on some systems for fixed samples in peak hours (8-6 M-F)
Exceptions/Differences for Imaging Live Samples
No time limits for system intended for imaging living specimens
The three-hour limit does not apply to the following live cell imaging systems when imaging live samples:
- Live cell station 1: Zeiss Axio Observer
- Live cell station 2: Zeiss Axiovert 200 M
- DeltaVision Elite Deconvolution Microscope
- Leica SP5 upright confocal
- Leica Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence
- Zeiss 780 upright confocal
- Zeiss 780 inverted confocal
- Olympus FV1000 Multiphoton
- Zeiss 710 inverted confocal
- Leica SP8 confocal
- Olympus VivaView FL Incubator Microscope
- Zeiss 880 Airyscan confocal
Please be considerate of others using these systems - e.g. If you need to leave something running for 2 days, do so over the weekend. If your sample isn't worth imaging, change your reservation and perhaps let others know that time is available.
Reservation differences for specific classes of live sample imaging
There are special considerations for:
- Experiments with very long preparation times
- Extremely scarce samples (e.g. patient samples that are available infrequently on a particular date)
- Experiments that last several days (because continuous time is required)
For these situations it may be possible to book up to 14 days ahead. Let LMCF know with justification if you fall into one of these categories. Multi-day experiments on popular systems should be booked over weekends. Such use has to be balanced with the availability of the system for standard uses.
Special rules for the Zeiss 780 upright confocal and Olympus Multiphoton:
- Experiments involving live mice can be booked up to 14 days ahead
- Time for imaging any other sample types can be reserved up to 7 days ahead
This is because the system was funded by a grant for acquiring a new intravital confocal so in vivo imaging is prioritized.
Special allowances for systems donated to LMCF
When a group decides to include in LMCF a system that they have purchased, preferential access is given to ensure the lab is able to continue to access the instrument sufficiently. Such labs can reserve the system(s) in question 14 days ahead. All other users are able to sign up for all systems 7 days ahead.
|Systems||Labs with 14 day reservation privileges|
|710 and Live cell station 2||Labs in Cell Biology|
|Zeiss 780 inverted confocal||Bennett lab members|
|Leica SP5 upright confocal||Kuo, Bagnat and Eroglu labs|